In other news, I made an easy, simple meal with plenty of flavor: turkey portobello sliders! I wanted "dessert" which defeats the purpose of a sugar detox, so I came up with a paleo, sugar detox version. It's no Dunkin Donuts, but you can use your imagination to take you there :)
Turkey Portobello Sliders
|Turkey portobello slider with lettuce & avocado.|
1 lb lean ground turkey
5-6 small portobello mushroom caps, stem & gills removed
1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
2 tsp basil
2 tsp rosemary
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp coconut oil
Toppings (optional): avocado, bacon, lettuce, tomato, pickle, raw/grilled onions, cheese (if allowed), etc
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place mushroom caps on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Use a paper towel to blot the excess moisture.
3. While portobellos are baking, heat a skillet to medium-high heat.
4. Use hands to combine turkey with seasonings. Divide into 5-6 small patties. Pinch the center so the burgers cook evenly.
5. Melt coconut oil in skillet. Drop turkey patties into skillet and fry until bottom side is cooked (the edges will start to turn white), about 3 minutes. Flip and repeat. Add more coconut oil as necessary.
6. Assemble your burger: portobello, toppings, turkey slider, & more toppings!
7. Gobble up!!!
NOTE: These sliders taste delicious with carrot "fries". Simply slice baby carrots in half, toss with olive oil & salt, then roast at 425 for 20 minutes.
Sugar Detox Paleo Donuts
|Donuts clockwise from top left: cinnamon, sunbutter, cinnamon, sunbutter, & "chocolate frosting"|
1/4 c coconut flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
4 egg whites
3 tbsp coconut milk
Optional: 2 tbsp maple syrup, agave, or honey (NOT allowed on sugar detox, obviously)
"Frosting" ideas: unsweetened sunbutter, cinnamon, or shredded coconut. If you're not on the sugar detox, honey would be a DELICIOUS frosting!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine dry ingredients: coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Add wet ingredients: egg whites, coconut milk, & sweetener if using. Mix until thoroughly combined.
3. Grease a donut or mini-donut pan (I used mini) with coconut oil or butter. Pour batter into pan, about 3/4 full.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
5. Serve with frosting of choice. For the detox, sunbutter was the best in my opinion. Cinnamon was second place. I didn't have coconut at the time... but if you try it, let me know how it turns out.
6. Eat with your eyes closed and imagine that you are biting into a Dunkin Donut... :)
NOTE: I tried unsweetened cocoa powder mixed with melted coconut oil to make "chocolate frosting" and it tasted horrendous. I don't it recommend it :P