Each family has their own holiday traditions. My family usually whips up a whole batch of appetizers (see last year's post) but this year, we were all really tired from... life. So, my mom & I decided to do 2 appetizers, the holiday veggie wreath and chicken wings.Yes, the wreath is not paleo, but it's only once a year and very festive :)
Holiday Veggie Wreath
(adapted from Betty Crocker)
4 oz onion & chives cream cheese
2 cans refrigerated dough (Whole Foods has a very good one; Pillsbury is full of chemicals)
8 oz spinach (or broccoli, chopped)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 egg white
1. Preheat oven to 375 (or temperature on dough can).
2. Heat a small saucepan on medium. Add a tsp of oil and cook the spinach until it reduces in size.
3. Unroll dough and arrange in a circle on a a round cookiesheet with the widest part slightly overlapping and the points radiating outward (see picture below).
4. Spread cream cheese on the dough.
5. Transfer the spinach to the dough and evenly distribute over the widest part of the dough triangles. Add diced peppers (and/or broccoli). Only spread until you reach the end of the cookiesheet; do not put vegetables beyond the cookiesheet (why? when you flip the dough, it might fall out).
6. Flip end points of the dough triangles over the veggies and tuck underneath the wide part of the dough.
7. Brush egg white over the dough ring. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes (look at timer on dough can). Wreath is done when it is golden brown. Garnish the center however you want... more food, candle, holiday decorations, or nothing at all.
9. Dig in!!! Optional: cut the wreath by crescent roll before serving.