Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Eve!

The end of one year, a new start the next... New Year's Eve is such a fun time of the year! The gym was PACKED this morning, sheesh! Where were all these people during the rest of the year? Yeah, that's what I thought. But it's good that people are getting fit & healthy. Except when I need to do my own workout. Give it 3-4 more weeks and there shall be more room and less BO at the gym lol

2012 had some highlights and lowlights, but one way or another I survived. The highlights were getting my dissertation proposal accepted (so I got "promoted" to PhD candidate), starting CrossFit/paleo, and being in the best shape of my life thus far which got me PRs in virtually every distance I raced (half-ironman, marathon, olympic triathlon, 10 miler, 10K, 8K, & 5K... still have yet to PR in the half-marathon but that's for another time). The lowlights were a painful breakup with my bf and not getting job interviews despite meeting position qualifications. The main thing I learned from 2012 is that life goes on and that I need to be true to myself, which includes not letting temporary setbacks (or people) get in the way of pursuing my dreams.

2013 should hopefully be a better year. My resolution is to KICK @SS.  Kick @ss in grad school and get my PhD. Kick @ss at the gym and smash my PRs. Kick @ss in the kitchen and whip up some amazing new meals. Kick @ss in everything I put my mind to because life is too short to live with regrets. I just may take on that ironman...    

Now, onto a more interesting topic: FOOD!  For New Year's Eve, my family always does appetizers with some primary meat of choice. This year's meat of choice was RIBS! I haven't had ribs in awhile, so I was already licking my lips. Make no mistake, these ribs are not like the ones you get at a restaurant with a sweet tangy sauce mixed in with all the fat from the ribs. No sir, we make these babies with a Chinese-style sauce that tastes way better than any American bbq-style sauce.  To complement the ribs, we had a salad (with homemade Asian sesame dressing), paleo corndogs, non-paleo sesame noodles (it's a Chinese custom for long life), veggie wreath, & mushroom quesadillas.   



Better Than American: Family Recipe Ribs

2.5-3 lb ribs (we use baby back)
5 tbsp hoisin sauce
3 tbsp wheat-free tamari or coconut aminos
2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp garlic powder

DIRECTIONS
1. Combine last 4 ingredients together. Pour mixture over ribs. Let stand for 1-2 hours (ideally 2).  
2. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Place ribs backside (curvy side) facing up for 25 min.
4. Turn over. Roast for another 25 min.
5. Check and roast longer if needed. Ribs are done when the end of the rib pulls away from the bone.

Serves: 4-6

--

Photo taken from when I made these babies earlier this year
 
Paleo Corn Dogs
4 grass-fed, nitrate-free hot dogs, cut into quarters
1 c almond flour
1 egg white
1/4 c coconut oil

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat frying pan to medium. Melt coconut oil.
2. Dip hot dog quarters into egg white and dredge through almond flour.
3. Carefully place hot dogs into hot oil. Turn often, as these little guys get crispy very easily.  

Serves: 2-3

--

Asian Sesame Dressing
1/4 c coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp wheat-free tamari or coconut aminos
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp sesame oil
A couple shakes of sesame seeds

DIRECTIONS
1. Whisk everything together. Whisk again before serving, as the oil has a tendency to separate.
2. Serve with your salad greens of choice. My favorite mix is: organic spring mix, spinach, & romaine with sliced cucumbers, tomato, avocado & red onion.

Yield: 1/2 cup

--

Veggie Wreath
Festive idea from Betty Crocker
(We didn't include the bacon and it still tasted delicious. Be mindful of the gluten coma that will ensue...) 

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally kill fat by eating Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete