Saturday, December 15, 2012

Holiday season is upon us...

WINTER BREAK 2012!  Flew home to NJ on Tuesday.  Airport security check and the flight itself were easy peasy.  Love me Southwest.  Since I've been home, I slept in (10+ hours each night, felt sooo good!), did some holiday shopping, grocery shopping (gotta stock up on paleo foods when you're staying with non-paleo eaters lol), cooked, ate, and hung out with the 'rents.  Can't wait for the holidays!!! It's always nice to get the family together, which I've appreciated all the more as I've gotten older and moved halfway across the country with no family even remotely close, only to get my butt kicked in grad school.

Since going paleo this summer, it's been somewhat difficult this break telling my non-paleo family why I don't eat certain things that I used to (which they still eat). I never really explained paleo to them, only that I've been cutting back on processed food and carbs (mostly gluten). That seemed to work. I don't mention the dairy because some of them are lactose sensitive so there's not much dairy here anyway. They know I like cooking and don't mind me cooking for them, so we accommodate for our different preferences (e.g. cauliflower "rice" for me, regular white rice for them). My crockpot chicken curry was a huge hit! :)


Crockpot Chicken Curry

The 'rents loved their curry (regular rice)


Adapted from PaleOMG:

INGREDIENTS
3 split chicken breasts (1.5 lbs), skinless*
3/4 c coconut milk
2 tbsp tomato paste
4 cloves garlic, minced
4.5 tbsp curry powder*
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 c chicken broth
salt & pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
1. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, garlic, curry, and salt/pepper to crockpot. Stir mix well.
2. Add peppers and onion. Mix well.
3. Place chicken in crockpot and pour broth on top.
4. Mix everything together so chicken is covered in curry mixture.
5. Cook on high for 2.5 hours


*NOTE: Split chicken breasts don't dry out in the crockpot like regular chicken breasts. If possible, try to get curry powder that doesn't have mustard (cheap filler). Quality curry costs the same as mustard-infused curry so why not go for the good stuff?

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by eating Coconut Fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete