Thursday, December 20, 2012

Paleo Pen Pals - December!

Brittanie & Tarah's Paleo Pen Pals group just did an ingredient swap this December. My pen pal was Karen from Low Carb One Day (awesome blogger plus you can check her site to see which ingredients I got her). Karen sent me two amazing ingredients that I never had before: coconut vinegar & southern-style hot sauce from Charleston, SC!


I decided to make a paleo stir fry. I've done plenty of stir-fry's in the past, but this time the coconut vinegar added a nice zest and the hot sauce was used as a side accompaniment for extra heat... I will definitely be using these babies again to flavor up my cooking. THANKS KAREN!! :)  When I told my mom that I was making "my" version of chicken lo mein, she was watching me cook and goes "where are the noodles?" HAHAHAHA silly mommy, processed carbs are for... well, no one really.  In any event, my non-paleo parents loved this dish, even though they insisted on ramen noodles to go with it. Alas, paleo isn't for everyone and a Brittanie-esque "two diets, one dinner" attitude kept everyone's bellies happy.



Zesty Paleo "Lo Mein" 

INGREDIENTS
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp garlic, minced
2 thin slices of ginger root
1.25 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (visible fat removed), cubed
1 head of broccoli... stems removed, florets chopped 
4 Chinese mushrooms, soaked until soft (approx 6-8 hours, but overnight is fine too)*
1/2 cup chopped white mushrooms
4 stalks of green onion, chopped
1 bag of shredded red cabbage
1/4 cup reduced-sodium, wheat-free tamari (or coconut aminos)
1/2-1 tbsp coconut vinegar
1 tbsp sesame seeds
Hot sauce

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat wok to medium heat.
2. Add sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. Saute for 1-2 min until aromatic. Remove ginger.
3. Add chicken and stir fry until chicken is mostly cooked, about 4 minutes.
4. Add broccoli and mushrooms into the wok. Saute until broccoli begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
5. Add red cabbage and green onion. Stir frequently until cabbage softens, about 4 minutes.
6. Add coconut vinegar and tamari. Stir until combined.
7. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and stir to combine.
8. Serve with hot sauce on the side for an extra kick!


*Shiitake mushrooms would also work

NOTE: You can add in whatever veggies & meat/shrimp/fish you want. Have fun with creating your own stir-fry!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment