Thursday, December 27, 2012

Spaghetti & Meatballs

A classic favorite: spaghetti & meatballs!  Of course I had to paleo-ize it, so I opted for spaghetti squash. My mom was on board with it, but my dad wanted his pasta. So, we made both and then used the same meatballs & sauce.  I told my mom that she was in charge of the pasta bc I couldn't bring myself to make it :P  We all loved this simple meal and I didn't miss the pasta one bit. My non-paleo mother liked the taste and thought it was a great, nutritious substitute for pasta. Paleo: 1, Standard American Diet: 0



Spaghetti & Meatballs

INGREDIENTS
1 medium-to-large spaghetti squash
1 lb ground beef
dried basil & thyme
1 jar of no-salt-added spaghetti sauce (you could also make your own)
1 small onion
3 cloves of garlic

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Using a sharp knife, cut spaghetti squash in half. Remove roots & seeds, then place squash halves face-down on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until soft.
3. While spaghetti squash is cooking, make your meatballs. Season ground beef with spices and form into meatballs. When squash is done, remove from oven and change oven setting to broil. Broil meatballs for 5-6 min, or until it's cooked to your liking.
4. Dice onion and mince garlic. In a large pot, saute onions/garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Pour in spaghetti sauce and simmer until it begins to bubble (approx 10-15 min). Toss in meatballs and stir to combine.
5. Hold squash with an oven mitt (it will be HOT!) and use a fork to shred the "spaghetti". Top spaghetti squash with meatballs and sauce.
6. Dig in!!!

Serves 3-4 people 

No comments:

Post a Comment